Projects and Activities
What is TJHS Historical Preservation Society doing? Plenty! If you have an upcoming reunion, fundraiser or event, we would like to provide information about the TJHS Historical Preservation Societyto your guests.
TJHS Historical Preservation Society is involved with numerous projects and activities including:
- 1932 Student Council Fountain: In both "on" and "off" functioning condition (mostly off) since 1932, the fountain in the Student Council Patio, once the home of fish and water lilies, has been the focus of several efforts to return it to the beauty of its original state. The picture (above-right) shows the fountain as it is today, 2009, a brick-lined shrubbery bed. Hidden beneath this apparent island of greenery is one of Thomas Jefferson High School's architectural treasures. See the pictures[Formative Project Plan] taken by TJHSHPS board members with the bushes pulled aside that reveal a glimpse of the what is driving this project. (May 2009)
- Photographic Archive Planning Project, Art Committee: Preliminary consumer-grade photos taken of damaged areas of school. School walkthrough to conceptualize a professional photography session for archival and further damage-documenting purposes. (June 17, 2008) [Initial Report]
TJHS Wall of Fame Portrait Preparation for Exhibit Area: Framing and installation of portraits of 16 distinguished Jefferson graduates undefined the "first class" in the Wall of Fame exhibit. [View photos ] Opening ceremony: November 13, 2008 [Project Brief]
- 2009 Fiesta Home Tour of the Monticello Park District (April 18, 2009)
- TJHS 75th Anniversary Celebration: Supported through Jefferson State Bank (2008)
- 2008 Fiesta Home Tour of the Monticello Park District: A day of touring one of San Antonio’s architecturally eclectic historic districts. The tour includes six beautiful homes open for public viewing in the Monticello Park Historic District. These splendid homes (circa 1920 to 1940) were designed by some of San Antonio’s leading architects of the time. Proceeds from the tour help pay for new street signs for the historic district and for preservation projects.
- Jefferson Open House with presentation and exhibit. 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fundraiser selling excellent photographic and design work by Board member, Benny Veliz undefined completed. [Project Brief] (April 19, 2008)
Public Education and Outreach (Community, State and National)
1,790 Society newsletters distributed, January 2009, informing recipients about:
Historical Presentations and Group Talks
- Annual Meeting at Jacala Restaurant, February 20, 2008
- Monticello Park District tour at Jefferson HS during Fiesta April 19, 2008
- 1958 Class reunion Tour of School October 11, 2008
- 1948 Class reunion October 25, 2008
- 1972/1973 Class reunion June 7, 2008
- Annual Meeting at Jacala Restaurant, March 4, 2009. [Map]
- Monticello Park District tour at Jefferson HS during Fiesta April 18, 2009
- School Tour display and slide show for classes of 1959 and 1969, October 23, 2009.
Listing newspaper articles, scrapbooks, play bills, Monticellos,Declarations, letters to the school, and other priceless (to us) printed materials. The publications are being prepared to be preserved in archival-quality fashion for the enjoyment of generations of Jeffites to come.